AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Disc with Cultivator Sweeps
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Doug W
Posted 4/2/2012 22:25 (#2318519 - in reply to #2318373)
Subject: RE: Disc with Cultivator Sweeps

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Can only go by what happens in our soils - but if you run a disk through packed soil you're going to cut a "roll" of soil in some form - they won't be long (they'll break as they roll) - but they will be a "lump" right after the lead disks. There's nothing holding these clods/lumps to the soil - the disk just cut them out - so they will likely drag along by the cultivator sweeps - & gather up until you're plugged.... The cultivator won't plug on its own, since its pulling through soil that is somewhat anchored & has enough friction to hold it in place. Add plant material & the situation gets worse...

This doesn't hold if your soil is really well worked - but then I doubt you need the disk in the first place...
The most extreme example of this we've seen is trying to use wide blade cultivators (here we called them Noble Blades) - I foolishly used to try and use them after my dad insisted on one way disking fields (was trying to preserve as much trash as possible in our situation) - learned quick that you can't pull a sweep through disked ground - (unless you packed it first)

We have a fairly good disk - but its heavy and it does leave things a bit rough - what we rely on for leveling is a dead-rod weeder attached to our cultivator - running at an angle to ridges probably does the best job in terms of leveling in our conditions.....

FWIW

Doug W.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)