AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

problems with 60 series detroit in western star
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

towman2000
Posted 3/24/2012 08:36 (#2303512 - in reply to #2303323)
Subject: RE: problems with 60 series detroit in western star

SouthCentral WI
I'm with Runninbehind, does it sputter and miss or does it just cut out. If it just cuts out, I would have the perimeters in the ecm set. If it "sputters" and misses as you indicated I would look at the air and fuel system. It would be strange that it does it at exactly at 1500 rpm each time, but it is possible. Check the air filter, rubber hose from and to the turbo, etc. i know you indicated that you did this, but a collapsing hose doesn't always just jump out at you. You might change the air filter rather than (blowing it out)
I assume the voltage is staying level, but checking all the grounds, wires and breakers at the batteries is a good idea.
let us know what happens.
Towman

This turbo has a waste gate (I think) is it opening at 1500? At 1500 no load ( or just bobtailing) it shouldn't be. Maybe a restricted exhaust? You say "after a few miles", does it work fine cold. You might replace the temp sensor for the ecm. An exhaust restriction will also increase sometimes as it gets warm. It might be derating if it does it after it gets warm, but that shouldn't be a "sputter". If that's the case you may have to run it with a computer and see what the ecm is telling the engine. It should throw a check engine light ( is it burnt out) but the computer should be able to at least tell you why the ecm is derating.

Edited by towman2000 3/24/2012 08:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)