AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven 743 flow meter setting in Integra for NH3 flow meter calibration nubmer. ??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/18/2012 09:02 (#2292958 - in reply to #2292654)
Subject: Re: Raven 743 flow meter setting in Integra for NH3 flow meter calibration number. ??

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.

NEILFarmer - 3/17/2012 22:15 743 sounds like fast valve not flow meter but i could be wrong, flow meter i've been fighting last few days is 740 on the tag. How you convert that for a interga i have no idea, i can't even figure out what it should be for a raven controller.

Be certain that you know the difference between the Valve and a flowmeter.  The valve controls the rate and ON/OFF functions wheras the flowmeter has a turbine inside it to measure the product.

Early Raven NH3 systems had a control valve, an ON/OFF valve and a flowmeter.  This is referred to as a two valve system.  This is the best way to handle NH3 as one valve handles the rate and another handles the ON/OFF function.  This is the only type of system that we sell.

Later in history to cheapen things up, Raven came out with a Fast Close Valve.  This was an attempt to have a single valve handle both the control and ON/OFF functions.  I have never liked these systems as they are difficult to troubleshoot and have problems at low rates.

I agree that 743 is probably the VALVE CAL number from the Fast Close Valve rather than the Flomweter Cal number as stated in the original post.  The reason I say this is that 743 is the Valve Cal for a Fast Close Valve.

Raven flowmeter cal numbers are on the Flowmeter and always end in a "0" such as 680, 710 etc.  This value represents the number of pulses produced for 10 units of product.  Raven has always used this scheme since the advent of the SCS-400 and has continued to the present time.

Setting up the Integra properly involves entering in the Meter Cal for one gallon of liquid.  This would be the Raven Meter Cal for liquid divided by 10.  So look at the tag on the flowmeter (740 for example) and dividing it by 10 which in this case would be 74.  Do not use the NH3 number that may be stamped on the Flowmeter tag.

It would seem that this number should be used since you are working with NH3.  However the Integra does the conversion to Pounds of NH3 and Pounds of Actual N.  If you use the NH3 number on the Cal tag, the conversion will be done again resulting in applying only about 1/4 the desired amount.  I made this mistake with my first tank and my Insight several years ago since I didn't read the screen closely.

Under the Control section you will want to set the valve up to close.  The Valve Response numbers etc should be set as indicated in one of the posts above.  The default values are for a Standard Valve which would have a Valve Cal of 2123 in Raven terms.

So in answer to the above post, setting the meter cal for an Ag Leader display with NH3 is simple - take the Raven number on the tag for gallons and divide by 10.

If you are using a Raven display such as a 440, then you can use the NH3 number on the tag if you wish to work in pounds of Actual N.  This number is the Gallons number divided by 4.22 to make the conversion to pounds of acutal N.  Then the desired rate can be entered into the display as pounds of Actual N desired.

On an Ag Leader display, after you have picked the field, the configuration and the product, you are asked for the controlling units.  This has been a point of confusion for many operators.  This question is really asking you if you plan on entering your target rate in pounds of NH3 or pounds of actual N.  Either way will work if you have your thinking straight.

Most of our customers prefer to work in pounds of ACTUAL N rather than pounds of NH3.  This means they should set the controlling units to "N" rather than "NH3".  The Insight and many Integras default to NH3 so the operator needs to choose N instead if they plan on entering their target rate in pounds of Actual N.

With the V 3.x update to the Integra now defaults to N rather than NH3 to help prevent this confusion. Remember if you are working in Pounds of Actual N then you will need to multiply the scale reading from your supplier by .82 to compare your actual rates with their scale.

Edited by tedbear 3/18/2012 17:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)