AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Copperhead Cruiser Max Closing Wheels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 3/14/2012 21:59 (#2287662 - in reply to #2287246)
Subject: Re: Copperhead Cruiser Max Closing Wheels

Morris, IL
I'd say if done in fall no baskets needed, in it spring they might be nice. The DMI my relative has doesn't have baskets and they have no trouble planting in front come spring with just martin row cleaners. It doesn't have row cleaners either but at times it would be nice. One year they did everything with 1-2" of frost, came up extra lumpy but didn't even know it after planter went through.

As far as using it in the spring i don't know, i think it kind of depends our your ground and ground conditions. We use the same bar for spring NH3, it works but if its a little wet the lumps turn to rocks. I'd say 1/3 days a year, the spring NH3 it would work good to plant within half a day, other wise it just comes up a little wet. We are always ready to hit it with the disc to knock lumps down. All our ground is very heavy. If you do it in the spring i'd either be counting on heavy rains or be ready with planter to crush the lumps, sometimes it hard to catch lumps with planter just right.

The field in the pictures were done with a new Krause, it has the chain link basket (junk by the way) and i'm getting a little worried about planting with a naked planter row unit, no cleaners, no colters, no nothing besides single disc openers. Its lumpy and rough, only good thing is there is plenty of moisture and i thing lumps will crush easy. Row unit ride is going to be interesting to watch. I think in the future i'd like to add some martins and clean sweeps. My relative uses only martins with depth gauge and it works pretty good but all he does is plant strip till, conventional or no-till.

No huck step shoe or anything like that with strip till, the residue plugs it and cause smearing. If your no-till now you probably already know that, my relative had them for a few years, like them but had trouble plugging, dragging the seed. He switch to martin liquid openers, they really work good in the strips.

Email works if you got any other questions? Are the copperhead's made of rubber or steel, plastic maybe?

Edited by NEILFarmer 3/14/2012 22:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)