AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making a pad for a shop with a dozer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 3/13/2012 08:03 (#2284731 - in reply to #2284440)
Subject: RE: Making a pad for a shop with a dozer

Iowa
No concrete until 2013 unless you compact it--not by driving on it but w a sheepsfoot or vibratory compactor. I do about a dozen pads a year for smaller buildings like garages on up to 40X50 or so, and we use a vibratory roller on a Bobcat.

We have worked where the pack factor is tested and even the thinnest layer just "drove over, back and forth" won't come anywhere close to passing inspection.

If you do not have experience and excavator's insurance you may learn a hard lesson. Dirt-floored sheds are a good place to learn, not where concrete is soon going.

I'd guess that a licensed, insured, experienced excavating contractor might do it for half of the $5000 the concrete guy wants--that's been my experience--concrete guys overbid dirt work because they really don't want it. For that kind of money I wouldn't invite disaster--I'd get someone who knew what they were doing.

Edit: 2 feet overbuild is insufficient. Rather hard for the construction crew and will most likely have a poor appearance. And unless nearly 1:1, most likely insufficient to keep water out during a "hundred-year rain" that we seem to get about every other summer.

Edited by Tommy 3/13/2012 08:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)