AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Swaping loaded tires with minimal equipment--
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rvander1
Posted 3/12/2012 20:57 (#2283821)
Subject: Swaping loaded tires with minimal equipment--

Gorham, NY

I'm just getting going in farming-- plan to build a shop this summer. Am planting 40 acres corn this spring.
I have a MF 596 with 18.4-34 loaded rear tires, and need to swap them around so I'm not planting in my tire tracks.
I have to do this without help. I have use of a flat concrete floor-- I don't have a skid steer or any other motorized equipment.
Here's my plan-- please tell me an easier way to do this-- I can't think of one:

So far: --I bought a 2 ton engine hoist, and jacked up the rear of the tractor -- needed to get the rear tires about 4-5 inches off the ground and put the whole back end of the tractor on two jack stands. Used the engine hoist inside the rim of the tire and removed the tire from the hub. Biggest problem is simply wheeling this one+ ton tire around with the engine hoist. Plan to wheel the tire/hoise around to front of tractor (yes the one on the jack stands) and use my loader forks to pick up the tire with a chain, so I can get the tire off the engine hoist (can't just drop it on the concrete-- the feet of the engine hoist are in the way), then take the other rear tire off, etc. etc. I have to swap around the inner rims, shims, etc to get the right tire spacing-- then reverse everything..to get the tires back on the tractor. I expect this will take most of my day.

--Real trouble I see is I need to reverse the tires after I plant, back wider so I can plow etc-- only need the real narrow tire spacing for planting. My seed guy said most farms have 2 tractors for this reason and swap tires in an hour--- well, I have one tractor and that ain't changin soon.
---So any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind working hard-- but an all day tire swap seems like it could be improved--
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)