AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solar powered Base???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Nebraska Sandhiller
Posted 3/11/2012 23:26 (#2282480 - in reply to #2281557)
Subject: Re: Solar powered Base???

NNW Nebraska
Not in my expertise.

2 amps seems low to be running a transmitter, I wonder how much of an hour the transmitter is actually transmitting
the other site listed talks about 1 to 3 amps, big difference when running 24 / 7.
on the other hand, It appears my neighbors using a portable base leave their units running for several days on a boat battery.

Wild guess: if it draws 2 amps then 2 x 12 volts is 24 watts (per hour)
24 watts x 24 hours x 5 days (allow for days with no sun) = 2800 watt hours

190 watt solar panel x 5 hours per day x 5 days = 4750 watt hours x .70 (efficiency of charging / discharging battery and loss in wiring and charge controller) = 3225 watt hours.

seems that a 190 watt solar panel might work. These numbers may not be correct, I am just guessing, so don't hold me to it.

You may get more than 5 hours charging in the summer, less in winter. remember that when the panel is facing south and the sun is in the east or west, not much charging is happening.

this size panel may be an over kill, but if so, keeping the battery from being discharged much will make it last many times longer.

However you May want to get a charge controller that would handle 2 panels just in case it was not enough.

If you want to do more research, you could check out Home power magazine or possibly their advertisers.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)