AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reed Canary grass for Pasture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 3/10/2012 08:25 (#2278874 - in reply to #2278791)
Subject: RE: Reed Canary grass for Pasture

North Mo.
I would suspect I have as many acres of Reeds as any one on here. The area I call the Amazon which is about 90 acres of creek bottom that has oxbows, swamps ,water trees and reeds all over it.
Reeds is a great grass managed properly. For years the north part of our creek was owned by others never grazed and had reeds all over it. Our part had none and was grazed hard, basically continually. When we started our graze and rest ,MiG or whatever you call it reeds started popping up on us. We now own both parts and are grazed with rest periods.
I feel your salesman did more selling than managing the reeds. He most likely let the reeds get tall it needs to be hammered hard get off come back hammer again and so on. Even after a frost if less than say 2 ft tall my cattle will graze it. I you feel the need to bale it do not let it get mature unless you want straw. I am seeing patches of the reeds in my up lands the past few years, I really don't know what to think of that other than except for this last fall we have been pretty wet in the summers.
Hay baling has changed so much with the introduction of silage balers they really do open up windows that didn't use to be there.
Isn't there a legume that like wet also thinking it may be a white clover. Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)