AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

TruCount Issues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

K Michael
Posted 3/4/2012 15:11 (#2267202)
Subject: TruCount Issues

Putnam Co, Indiana

We've had a little bit of trouble the last couple years with our TruCount shaft mounted clutches failing. When they fail they just stop pulling the row. I've pulled air lines and even the stopper piston assembly to make sure it wasn't a clearance issue. I've opened up the face and knocked out all the crud and sprayed it with silicone to try to get the failing clutch cleaned up so it would grab and pull. All of this to no avail -- the clutches had to be replaced in field with either a new clutch or solid sprocket. SO, I had some time in the shop this week fiddling around with some clutches that worked and some that didn't. It turns out the problems follow the spring inside the clutch. I put a new spring in the failing clutch and it worked. I put the failing clutch's spring in a working clutch and that caused it to fail. So now I know that the spring is the problem but I don't have any idea as to why. Both working and failing clutches were tested dirty and clean. There are no obvious differences upon visual inspection. Does anyone know why this would occur on 2-3 rows out of 24? Has anyone else dealt with the clutch not pulling the row unit?

Also I've included a picture of how our clutches typically look when disassembled. Is this amount of crud and greasy looking stuff normal? I was surprised to find what appeared to be grease inside the clutch. We've only used silicone. Perhaps chain lube is migrating through the seals?

(trucount.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments trucount.jpg (96KB - 72 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)