AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on Cyclo-Air planters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 3/4/2012 13:11 (#2266961 - in reply to #2266911)
Subject: RE: Educate me on Cyclo-Air planters

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I had a 500, 800, and last of all a 955.  Big advantage from the 800 up (not the 500) was excellent coverage in no till.  I rented a 800 to plant beans in clover stubble after first cutting.  The ground was so hard, it was difficult to drive a nail in it with a hammer.  The beans did pretty good for the time, not much rain and still 25 bu per acre, and I just had to buy one.  Later results with better conditions were excellent in many cases, at that time there was a learning curve to no-till due to the lack of local experience.

Only problem I had in wheat stubble was accumulation of straw laying on top.  Where straw was not laying, there was little problem.  I often dragged a big bunch of loose straw to the end rows, dropping a pile when raising out of the ground.  Other than that, I would not be afraid of 15 inch rows no till, especially if the straw was baled first.

The 955 had a bit better closing system with staggered disks, and 950's would accept the update.

There were a lot of adjustments to vary the downpressure for different ground conditions in no-til, but I seldom changed the original position.

A good planter for the time, would plant pretty good spacing if driven slowly, you lost a little on seed placement if you drove faster.  No picket fence emergence of plants, but about as good as most other brands at that time.         

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)