AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking at Semis, which engine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Versatile Farmer
Posted 3/4/2012 12:14 (#2266857)
Subject: Looking at Semis, which engine?

Southeast North Dakota
I've got a couple lined up with the 14 liter Detroit. Anyone own one and care to share what you think? I have a truck on the farm now with the 12.7 liter Detroit and I love everything about it. I was told the 14 liter has the EGR system and variable geometry turbo and isn't quite the engine the 12.7 liter was. I want to hear from people that own, have owned, or have worked on them. Please no guessing, I want experienced answers.

I have also been looking at some with the 3406E Cat. I have a 3406B on the farm now that has been pumped up to around 475 HP and I know what it costs to overhaul a Cat, do I dare get a 3406E? Are they reliable and torquey like the 3406B was? Again, I am looking for experience here.

The last engine I am looking at I already feel comfortable with but I'd also like to hear from someone that's been around one, the N14 Cummins. I have been looking at some "red top" ones, and some without the "red top". Are they good like the old 855's were? Thanks in advance for any replies!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)