AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Re-paint grain trailer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dewgubbe
Posted 3/2/2012 23:08 (#2264281 - in reply to #2263858)
Subject: Re: Re-paint grain trailer

Northeast Nebraska
Make sure you read the paint label carefully. Once you think you completly understand it, read it again.

Go to several paint stores, and talk to people that can actually help you. If you get the impression they are shooting from the hip, find someone else. I got lucky, the first place I went to had knowledable people who went over the paints instructions with me. I had a friend that went to tech school for autobody help me paint my first trailer, that helped too.

If you go with an epoxy type product, it is important to get it applied thick enough. I noticed on my trailers that when applied properly (thick) it left a nice smooth finish without runs. I went back to the instructions and they did indeed mention a certain thickness that the epoxy needed applied. When I applied it too thin, it left an orange peel look. A second coat applied thick enough covered the orange peel look.

Dont be afraid to buy a cheap HVLP gun and paint the trailer yourself. After painting my 40' flatbed, I highly doubt I could have hired as good of job done. It takes time to get into the hard to reach places and do a quality job. With 2 guns spraying, it took me and my friend 4 hours to paint the 40' flatbed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)