AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Implement steering with planters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Cardinal_Farms
Posted 2/25/2012 13:43 (#2250818 - in reply to #2249520)
Subject: RE: Implement steering with planters

Central Iowa
I have limited experience with this new technology. I started using it last fall. So take it for what it is worth.

My first experience was with my pull type dry fert. bander which is a 12 planter without the row units, fert. boxes & coulters only. This rig has had a Buffalo Scout on it for some time. For the last 5 years I had been just steering the appl. manually. The Scout is placed where the tounge meets the toolbar, this creates a "pivot point" which allows the toolbar to move back and forth. I have 2 Sunco stabilizers to help the Scout steer the toolbar. The nav controller and reciever is on a pole mounted on the Scout. This setup worked quite well and I never used the markers. I plan to remove them.

I will also use the Scouts on my cultivators, 6 row mtd. planter and liq. sidedress appl. I was fortunate to already have 3 Scouts on hand, so there was no additional cost except for the steering valve that replaces the original Scout valve. It was nice to eliminate the row feelers, cables, control box etc.

I will have to use a different guidance hitch on the planter. There is no room on the toolbar of my pull type planter to mount the Scout. I will have obtain a used "sliding style" hitch that mounts on the tractor's 3pt. hitch and then mount the nav and reciever on the planter toolbar. I think the sliding type unit would work well on my hooded spray bander as well. I don't think implement steering will be needed for spray booms as they are 3pt. mounted. It will be a learning experience to be sure.

Edited by Cardinal_Farms 2/25/2012 13:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)