AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ford 5610 good and bad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 2/20/2012 17:01 (#2240598 - in reply to #2238854)
Subject: RE: Ford 5610 good and bad

640 hours? It's probably had a broken drive cable for the last 5000 of those 640 hours...
Keep that in mind.
They are good tractors. Front axle will be a weak point under that loader. Just check it over and make sure the clutch isn't shot, it starts reasonably well cold and that the hydraulics work normally. If it can't kick it's valves out at idle I'd start wondering about the pump(s). That vintage should be a dual pump tractor so it moves about 18 gpm...
Also make sure that if it's got the 8x4 or 16x8 transmission... check that it stays in gear and doesn't also lock in gear. The mechanisms wear out over time.
If it does happen to be a project tractor... move on. There's nothing in the world more poison to work on than a 10 with a straddle cab and loader... and that's what that is... I'd almost burn one rather than fix something on it anymore.
They were a really great, neat nimble tractor when it was a 2WD open station with no loader. With the cab and loader they tend to be an underpowered miserable dog. It's still a nice enough tractor aside from lacking power... just hard to work on.
We put ~5000 hours on an 85 5610 open station.... and I don't think that tractor cost us more than 2 grand in repairs over the time we had it... and that included a set of tires and a steering motor. I wish I still had it.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)