AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where to sell calves? Big barn or small barn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ahay68979
Posted 2/19/2012 11:50 (#2238087)
Subject: Where to sell calves? Big barn or small barn?

Saronville NE
I just background calves and always sell the 1st big string in end of Feb. Have a small local barn (7 miles) or a bigger barn west of me an hr. I have sold at both and gotten along at both very well over the yrs. On Steers I wouldnt question where to go Id go to local barn, there isnt $2 difference alot of times between the 2 barns when the small one has a special sale, and between the extra shrink and freight cost, I just know where I would go. Here is the promblem the local barn has alot wider spread this year then normal for some reason on the heifers, so talking pry gain $8-10 going to big barn, add in the extra shrink and freight cost, would cut it in half.

Heres my thoughts I dont want to short myself but at the same time I dont want the local barn to close down, buy 90% of my calves there and just plain handier then going 45 min away to next closeset barn or 1 hr + to the big barns. Quite a few of the bigger strings locally have gone to the big barn this year but yet you talk to em, they arent sure they will next year, just cause of extra shrink and freight costs. I know the local barn is struggling, alot of guys have gotten outa cows last couple yrs here and numbers have really dropped off. Just curious as too your thoughts, gotta give answer to either one for advertising by Monday.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)