AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exporting embryos to EU?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 2/17/2012 00:45 (#2233778 - in reply to #2233662)
Subject: Re: Exporting embryos to EU?

Faunsdale, AL
Whoa hoss!

Country they're going to calls the shots. At least the whole EU is the same, so that helps a bit. Go online here.............
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/animal_europ...

Generally the USDA veterinarian in charge in your state must endorse the prepared and signed certificate that basically says the shipment meets all the requirements set forth by the receiving country and spells those out in detail along with all tests, dates and results required etc...............Sounds as if they're done in both english and whatever language of the destination country these days. I have mostly done live animal certificates and they were just done in english. Did collect and export embryos to Australia once, but it's been so long ago now, can't remember much about the paperwork. Had a USDA vet who was competent to come inspect the collection process and watch my procedure before I was approved. Then the embryos were collected and frozen, shipped in new semen tank with "virgin" nitrogen etc.

Involve the head vet at USDA in your state early in the process. Lots easier that way. Better than wasting a lot of time and money doing something the wrong way.

One thing I found is that the receiving country may waive a requirement or grant an extension etc, but the USDA isn't going to approve the certificate without that waiver or extension. In other words it's not up to the USDA, it's entirely up the the receiving country. They're not going to seek any extensions and waivers for you either. The importer on the other end will have to do that.

ET is certainly common in Europe. Worldwide shipment of frozen embryos is common and successful using "dry" shippers which can legally be shipped by air cargo. The shipping container must be prepared properly for shipment as well. Most important thing is to avoid customs and quarantine difficulties which may result in loss of the shipment or significant delays and financial embarassment.

Good luck!

Edited by ccjersey 2/17/2012 00:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)