AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do 12 row 1770 planters have wings that flex up and down?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 2/14/2012 23:29 (#2229314 - in reply to #2229056)
Subject: Re: Do 12 row 1770 planters have wings that flex up and down?

West Union, Illinois

rburk -  Mike our 1770 that flexes in the middle folds the same as yours.
All I know is when I bought it used I was told a certain procedure to fold for transport. Block up the cylinders in the center section, swing, latch, throw valve, lower planter to raise wing wheels, raise main frame back up and go down the road.  It never did work quite like I thought it should.

Last Spring it quit raising the wing wheel to transport position.  JD dealer tech spent all day on it, said needed a new valve block.  Overnighted a new $1800 valve, he installed it ... no change.  He took it off and put the old one back on and told me the tractor needed a new hyd pump.  Replaced the hyd pumps (yes, 2 on my Magnum) and still didn't fix it.

At that point I called a different JD dealer.  His tech came down, spent all day verifying everything was correct and working right.  He suspected a leaky hydraulic cyinder, so ordered rebuild kit.  Next day he came back and told me he knew what the problem was.  Open owner's manual to page --- and follow that procedure.  Fold, lower to ground, latch, throw valve, raise, install cylinder blocks on main frame.  Worked like a charm.

So all I know is 2 different techs watched me fold it the way I was told to fold it.  The last one said I was folding it the way you folded a flex frame and the rigid frame was different.  If it is working for you don't change a thing.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)