AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why Were 4020s So Popular?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 2/10/2012 16:10 (#2219105 - in reply to #2218516)
Subject: Re: Why Were 4020s So Popular? Because

The predecessor 4010 was the highest HP JD tractor ever made in 1960. And the 4320 didn't come out until there had been 4020 on the market for a few years. Both have full power steering, not power assist. And power brakes. That hydraulic power contributes to being fuel hungry. And the package was the size of the previous 720/730, not the bigger 820/830. More horsepower per pound (which can lead to more wheel spin in loose dirt) than any tractor before.

The synchro-range transmission shifting is logical to a point but unusual to a tractor driver accustomed to a two speed transmission with shift lever in front of a 3 or 4 speed, though the JD 8 speed forward transmission acts like that combination it does it in the length of one simpler transmission with three shafts side by side.

A decade ago, I bought a 4020 gas for the price of a 35 hp utility tractor and its still working for me when I want it to work. It will probably outlive me. It also gave me crop clearance for cultivation and spraying that the utility tractor tends to not.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)