AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to Frame basement walls---pics---
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

al runions
Posted 2/9/2012 10:56 (#2215978 - in reply to #2215718)
Subject: Re: How to Frame basement walls---pics---

On outside walls, I lay up plastic (with adhesive) on the concrete first as a moisture barrier before adding stud walls. On the wall that is parallel to the joist, I place nailers from inside the sill plate to the joist every 2 feet to use to attach the wall's top plate. I build those walls first. I build with 2 x 4s so I have room to insulate and wire. I off-set from the ends of the wall 3 1/2 inches and snap a string line. Then you can see how straight the poured wall actually is. Determine the tightest (smallest distance) and re-snap another line with allowance for the wall curvature and transfer vertically new line to the top plate holders you have added. I affix down a bottom plate and mark out the entire wall on 16 inch centers. I attach the top plate and mark it out plumb to the bottom stud marks. I measure and cut each stud seperately, as all poured floors are slightly uneven. I toenail each stud in place. Building the other two outside wall is similar except the top plate is attached to the bottom of the joist. I have not seen any long-term settling issues but that is with adequate footings and central-IL freeze/thaws. Inner walls are built in a similar fashion. Use the 3 foot, 4 foot, 5 foot right triangle, to make the inner walls square.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)