AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to Frame basement walls---pics---
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jcs
Posted 2/9/2012 09:22 (#2215821 - in reply to #2215718)
Subject: RE: How to Frame basement walls---pics---

Oklahoma
Not in a basement but a year ago I added some walls in our garage to convert it into a den and mudroom after an "incident involving some sheetrock falling off the ceiling". Similar to your basement, I had ceiling trusses already in place and a concrete floor. I am not a professional so some might have issues with what I did but it worked for me. Since the garage was already sheetrocked, I ran a line across where the mudroom wall was going and cut out about a 6 inch spot in the sheetrock and insulation in the wall and the ceiling. Then in the wall I nailed essentially 3 - 2x4s (middle ones were stubs) together to give me something to nail into, I toe nailed that into the top and bottom of the wall. I built the new wall laying down and I built it a 1/4 inch shorter than the actual desired height and width. Then we stood the wall up in the ceiling gap (one end of the wall was tying into a corner) and we basically slid it into the hole in the opposite wall and swung it into place on the corner. Then prior to nailing it all up, I cut 1/4 inch plywood strips and we slid those under the wall and at the end where we tied into the wall to take out the gaps left earlier.

Hope that helps. The other option I looked at was to leave the gap the height of a 2x4 and slide the board in at the top but I opted for the plywood because I felt I could do it easier and not have as many problems as the other way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)