AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

keeton seed firmer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 2/7/2012 11:08 (#2211271 - in reply to #2210399)
Subject: RE: keeton seed firmer?

arkmatt - 2/6/2012 21:20 No coulters and disc openers are new with 1.5 inch touching in front have acraplant v slicer I think the seed trench is in a v but will have to look. These are low pro keetons if it makes a differance. I planted 2300 acres like this and you could look at any given time or condition and see the problem probaly worse in soybeans everything is convential tilled on raised beds.thanks

Get rid of the Acra v-slice insert and you'll be alot better off.  Those hang down below the blades and smear the hell out of the bottom of the furrow.  The industry went away from 'bulldozer' seed shoes for a reason.  Rotating opener blades provide a clean cut with the least smearing and compaction.  (The V-Slice might be okay if you plant only into beach sand.)

What you truly need is a full-width seed tube guard that doesn't hang down below the blades.  One that is hardened and will remain full width all season (and year after year).  This prevents blade flex, so that you get a furrow that is full width and with a flat bottom.  With this improvement, you will also want to start over with Keetons that have a flat bottom, rather than what you most likely have -- Keetons that have worn to a 'knife edge' on the bottom (dull knife, or maybe more like a ship's keel).

The guards you need are available either from RK Products, or from us (Exapta).  Ours is the Valion.

I would suggest using a full-height Keeton and a Mojo Wire to get more pressure on them, so that they will embed the seed into the bottom of the furrow for fast, uniform germination.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)