AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

feelnrite
Posted 2/2/2012 17:36 (#2201531 - in reply to #2200831)
Subject: Re: Calving problems

northwest tennessee
Yes I understood where you were going. I am just thinking more along the lines of disease and still am. I had some trouble years ago before I started vacc. and finally found some BVD in a calf I took to the lab. It took two times to find it though. That is why it is so important to get a live vacc in heifers before breeding and then if you want to use killed later you can. There are times with the killed where the cow is protected but the fetus is not and the disease can pass across the membrane in the uterus. This is why you might take a blood sample and not find anything in the cow but you might in the weak calf. Whatever you do dont just take one sample. If you take blood out of the cow you need to take it 2 or 3 times about every 2 weeks to look for a titre change. She might not test positive but if the titre changes that could suggest that she has a problem. All these diseases are around and folks may think they don t have it but I bet they do it just has not showed up yet. You get the right kind of stress and all factors come together and there it is.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)