AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Elevator Discounts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

RayJenkins
Posted 2/2/2012 14:08 (#2201277 - in reply to #2201249)
Subject: Re: Elevator Discounts

SC Iowa
Ditto to what "Ancient grain guy" just posted...

We use a third party grading system, and if grades are questioned, we offer to send the sample off to FGIS for an official grade....majority of these surround damage, followed by FM......we will cut the sample in half and give to seller if they request and "want to have a look" at the corn

now, I can tell you that if the loads are being blended, you are going to get a variety of numbers depending a lot on just how the truck is being loaded......it doesn't matter where you probe the load (we probe 6-8 places), if it is discounted or rejected, the seller is going to accuse you of probing in the wrong place.

BUT.......grading is a factor in buying corn, just like price......our goal is to emulate an official grade......some places tend to be pretty lenient on grading.......here is a little story from several years ago...

farmer calls and is upset because he is being discounted for test weight between 52-54 #......and says "when I take loads to the coop they always grade 54 pounds"......I asked him if he would give me a copy of one of the coop's scale tickets, which he did...

what was going on was that the coop was not running any tests on the corn other than moisture......and putting in the "plug" numbers which were needed to get the corn into the computer system....which explained why his corn "always" tested 54 #.....

PS----the grades coming back from FGIS are rarely much different than what our third party graders get...but if we are wrong, we will make the appropriate change and refund the discount to the new number.......many times the damage is already above our 10% rejection threshold, so it makes little difference if our 13.5% comes back at 12.5%....but confirms the damage is definitely "in there"

Ray J
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)