AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall tillage in the mud??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MikeInFrance
Posted 10/15/2007 14:15 (#219855 - in reply to #219829)
Subject: Re: Fall tillage in the mud??

Alsace 47°52'46"N 7°24'30"E
I have been told a few things and the more I think about them the more obvious they are to me:

- your soil prep begins with harvest: if you harvest is such conditions that the combine & grain cart make compaction you should better wait a few days and allow your soil to drain and give you better floatation ... an alternative is to empty your combine & grain cart earlier.

- never ever work with tillage tools when it's too wet: you make things worse!

- take into consideration that it takes a couple of years to correct what you can mess up in a couple of days!

- if you don't have patience, consider plowing or ... taking a vacation: things will have settled by then.

- as someone said, spring tillage and strip-till are probably a viable alternative. But do not mess things up by working in the mud.

- let nature do it's part: frost and defrost are better than what you will ever be able to do.

With my dad we have been growing corn on corn *here* for over 20 years: waiting for ideal tillage conditions has paid each and every time while being in too much of a hurry, just because neighbors were out in the fields never was a good thing.
Your fields are like a lady: treat them good and they will flourish, treat them bad and they will rebel.

JMHO
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)