AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall tillage in the mud??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 10/15/2007 12:55 (#219811 - in reply to #219723)
Subject: RE: Fall tillage in the mud??

Blue Earth, MN
Are you planning on going back to corn or beans on the corn fields that are being harvested wet? If beans, I would do nothing this fall because there are plenty of tools on the market that can be used in the spring to prepare a good seedbed for beans. Also, a lot of beans are no-tilled and heavy tillage does nothing to improve the bottomline. If you have major ruts, I'm thinking treat those spots like newly installed tile lines.

If going to corn, I'd again, do nothing until it at least freezes somewhat then possibly do some tillage. Fall anhydrous is a different story with the wet conditions. Looking like spring will be the best time for efficient N placement.

We strip till and right now am not planning on doing much this fall unless we either dry out or get a frost. The bean stubble is much drier then the ground with standing corn. Even the ground with corn that was harvested a few weeks ago is in descent shape. If it gets dry, we will strip most of our bean stubble and the corn on corn ground. If it doesn't dry out, we will strip next spring. Our ruts and any tile we install in our corn going to beans will be fixed next spring probably by a light disking and then will run either a turbo till or strip before the beans are planted.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)