AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Article on our Centennial Farm.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FarminRN
Posted 1/24/2012 22:11 (#2184072 - in reply to #2184016)
Subject: Re: Article on our Centennial Farm.

Great article and story. I grew up in South Florida and knew nothing of m family's farming heritage until I was sent to live with my Dad in high school in Indiana(family was split up young). As long as I remember we had a county centennial farm sign above the garage and was really too busy being a teenager to appreciate the history of the place. Fast forward to today, dad's gone and after buying out a sibling, I am in the middle of the process to apply for the state award. I never realized the significance of the ground until I found out I am now the 7th generation to own it and it is still the original tract since it was bought from the government in 1834. Going through the research to put it together unearthed a lot of history I wish my dad and I could have shared together. I never asked any questions of my dad about the place and I kick myself for having missed that opportunity.

It reminds of a post I read a while back about land being a family antique to be cherished and passed on to provide for the future. I would venture to say my great great great great grandfather never thought it would still be in the family providing a means. Really makes you think of the sacrifices and work of those before you. I mean really think about it, where would be without the experiences etc. that the land provides. I think that it is special to have earned that honor and thanks for sharing. Sorry so long winded, but having been going through this process recently it just kind of opened the flood gates!

Thanks...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)