AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GSI Top Dry vs. Tower Dryer (I know this has been discussed alot already.)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CIH 2577
Posted 1/18/2012 23:30 (#2170891 - in reply to #2170765)
Subject: Re: GSI Top Dry vs. Tower Dryer (I know this has been discussed alot already.)

South Western Ontario
We have 2 27 foot top dry bins. First one put up in late 70's and the second one came with the purchased farm in 91.
You have to drop the final batch so that it blends otherwise sticks to the wall and will be a mess come spring.
Although you can block the big fan and remove center cap and fill it up for the winter which can give additional storage. With the new digital controls you can dry by time or temp but it is a bit of learning curve because the top of the batch won't feel ready and the bottom(closest to the perforated floor) will be overdry but when you drop the batch it all blends together and you would never now the difference.
Usually drop around 16 to 17 % and then with all the heat in the bottom it will average 14.5 to 15.5 %.
I'm not saying that they are the best, but it is what we've always had and I'm used to running these sytems and they do work well for us.
If one batch is not dry enough just overdry the next one or visa versa. They do take a bit more baby sitting probably than the tower and continuous flow dryers.
Just ask alot of questions and go and visit guys with both sytems.
Good Luck!!
If you have anymore questions just ask.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)