AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A positive NCAA football story
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 1/11/2012 15:58 (#2155785 - in reply to #2155743)
Subject: RE: Your attitude...

Alton, Ia
I stated my opinion on what I thought of a supposedly "prestigious" degree. Since then, I've been accused of name calling. I didn't. Firefighter threw out salaries, then blamed me for bringing money into it when I pushed back on his analysis. I also never said ANYTHING against our fine UW football player's sports achievements. I'm sure he worked very hard at his athletic achievements. I just don't think it is a "prestigious" degree. That was his EXACT word.

Why??? Because I lived for 12 years within an hour of Madison and dated a fine young lass with that major for a bit. She did very well in the program, but let's just say her brains weren't her best attribute. Ok..... I do occasionally know something of which I speak.

But all you really have to do is watch a little TV and listen to the shallow, inane questions reporters ask, or watch some of the garbage put on TV right now. Do we need it, some of it, sure. If you want to read into my words "condescension", that's your doing, but don't twist my words. Is it "prestigious" like curing cancer or mapping genomes, not hardly. To me anyway. Maybe it is to you.

I was also told intially that I can't express that opinion since I either A.) didn't have a degree or B.) didn't play college sports. I replied truthfully and honestly as to my background. They don't just hand out Engineering degrees.

If expecting more of our young people, who have access to great educational opportunities, greater than 95% of the worlds population will ever hope to see, and then graduate with a major that doesn't really add much to society, if that is condescending, then so be it.

If we (the USA) have that level of expectation for our kids, then I hope the Chinese begin to like sports, a lot more.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)