AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Today I was very lucky.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 1/11/2012 14:59 (#2155730)
Subject: Today I was very lucky.

East central Iowa

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=279006&posts=5&start=1

Above post was made in Machinery Forum.  I had a question and thought that would be a good place to ask.

Now the rest of the story and why I'm lucky.

There were 5 lights under the kitchen cabinets and 2 of the bulbs had burned out.  I have grown tired of replacing them and decided to go with fluorescent lights which are 110/120 volts.

We had, had the little puck lights previously and had a transformer that lowered the 110V down to 12V for them.  But the transformer made RF and messed up our AM radio.  Finally I replaced all of them with 110V puck lights  AND I FORGOT THAT I HAD DONE THAT.

So when I was taking them down this morning I took the wire nuts off one set of wires and took off one light group.  With the lights turned on!  I had hold of the bare wire and was twisting it back together so I'd have light in one area.  I was getting an unpleasant tingling.  Just thought it odd that 12V would do that but continued and turned off the lights.

Then it was while tracing the wire to the switch that I discovered it was hard wired into 110V!  Just to be sure I took my multimeter and yep, 117V. 

So, even though the bean market is down today I feel lucky.  My wife says I should use the woodworking axiom of measure twice cut once and adapt it to my electrical work.  Check source twice and hook up stuff once.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)