AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what problems can high Fe levels in the soil create?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 12/12/2011 07:09 (#2098275 - in reply to #2091517)
Subject: RE: what problems can high Fe levels in the soil create?

agger802 - 12/8/2011 10:51 Just pulled the tissue analysis I took back in 2008 from MU. I took samples from severely affected plants, moderaley affected, and healthy plants. From my picture I posted of the field you can see the variance. In the severely affected plants: 481 ppm of Fe (normal is 10-200 ppm) 12 ppm of Zn (normal is 15-60 ppm) phosphorus was on the line for low and optimum range actually. Wasn't as low as I thought. As the plants got heathier, that analyses showed less Fe and more Zn within the tissue test. Boron and Mn were optimum in all stages and analyses. I agree that the leaf lesions are a little different that "typical" zinc defiency symptoms that I typically see too. However the shortened internodes are classic zinc symptomology. Diagnosis form the lab was zinc deficiency and iron toxicity. Here's another picture that looks a little more like typical zinc issues.

Yes, the plants in this photo look a bit more characteristic of Zn def.  Yes, 12 ppm Zn would be catastrophically low in the plant.

I don't think 480 ppm Fe in the tissue is meaningful.  I.e., it's not the problem.

Shortened internodes would also be a symptom of P def.  And several micros.

I don't give too much deference to what the lab cranks out for 'interpretation' -- i.e., what they say is deficient, low, medium, high, toxic.  Some of those values haven't been updated in 40 years and are way off the mark.

respectfully,

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)