AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

N-Rate study...now in the second year for neighbor & I.....now to digest the data
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 12/2/2011 09:50 (#2080375 - in reply to #2079157)
Subject: In 2007

Without replication, my patch did 173.2 bushels dry corn on 111 units of N after 36 bushel beans. A late season stalk showed 237 ppm N which is on the low side and there should have been some crop response to added N. You might have learned more from such a test in your strips to show adequate or excess N.

I applied 100 pounds MAP, for 11 units of N, a few pounds AMS with the glyphosate sprays, and 60 pounds of N as 32% with the planter. I side dressed dribbling on pounds of N as 32% (with rain in the forecast that did arrive) with the corn about 4' tall. No till so not a very early planting and about 15.5% at harvest. I had selected a hybrid that Crow's claimed to do well with marginal nutrition put planted a couple other numbers because my planter spilled one extra seed every 17' or so and I ran out of the Crow's number. One appeared to perform as well (no monitor and I didn't sample that number) from the combine cab and the third did poorly with half filled ears at that amount of N and 34K planted population. All three were RR with no other traits admitted.

In your tests my eye says, above 140 pounds of N, there was very little response to the added N, probably was not economic above about 150 or so for THAT corn variety and this season. Different weather and a different corn number may come out differently. When I see in the catalog it says, "Responds to N" I take that to mean that without copious N it won't produce but I've not tested that concept.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)