AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NeatDesk Scanner,,,, helpfull or junk?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 11/20/2011 16:22 (#2059012 - in reply to #2058290)
Subject: RE: NeatDesk Scanner,,,, helpfull or junk?

I have had it for about 2 years now.

I will discuss the software first, the more I use it the more I like it. We run the Mac version and I think there are some things on the PC version that are not on the Mac yet, but they are slowly, I repeat slowly improving it. Had a couple problems with where the file was stored on an earlier version, support was barely adequate, hope I never need it again. As for automatically filling in the items, it will on some receipts, some it won't, but it is easy to drag across the things you want it to be able to search for at a future date. They say it will "learn" how to pic info from receipts after you drag items to the appropriate line, can't say this is true or not, I have not spent a lot of time trying to get it to "read" receipts. I set up a filing structure just like I would in a file cabinet and scan items into the appropriate folder. Start out with a new file for each year and then add sub folders under it. (didn't have the guts to just dump everything into a big bucket and rely on the search feature) I have a separate folder for our fuel receipts (IFTA), grain contracts, grain sold tickets, trucking invoices etc. in addition to the traditional a,b,c,d,e,f etc. With our trucking business we have to keep copies of all of the scale tickets, delivery tickets bol's etc. It is easier to scan them into NR than it is to make a hard copy to put in a file, I label each one with the invoice number where they were billed to the customer and then scan the invoice into the file also. I also scan my employee's log books into an appropriate file. Saves a bunch of file space.

As for the scanner, we bought the portable one just because we were not sure if we wanted the program at all and didn't want to use that much desk space. Reviews that I saw at the time were also questionable about the scanner quality from NR. Once we committed to using the program I decided to invest in a better scanner and opted for a Fujitsu Scan Snap. My daughter took the portable one to school with her and it does what she wants there. The Scan Snap was more money than the whole software program was originally, but in my mind it was more than worth it. Besides working with NR it will also scan to PDF files for items that I keep in a separate file for permanent records. It is not too big, fast, reliable and produces very good quality. I would do it again in a heartbeat. If they still sell the software without a scanner I would go that route and just skip the NR scanners entirely.

As for agencies accepting reprinted items, the IRS has no problem with it at all, hasn't for several years. From my experience the IRS is the gold standard and what ever they say other agencies will follow. The only one that I have found that tries to bluff their way through and says they require "original" tickets is the Kansas DOR and specifically the department dealing with IFTA fuel reporting. I have had originals for them up to this point, but from here on we are going to be paperless so they will have to get over it.

I tried some of the other paperless filing systems, looked at a lot of them, most are more money and more involved than NR. Some are a LOT more money. The only one I thought came close was Paperless, but in the end we figured that NR would be better if they continued to make some improvements to it.

Don't jump in feet first, get it, play around with it before you decide exactly how it will work the best for you. Wouldn't swear it was a lot faster than a good paper filing system, but it will save you a ton of storage space and make it easier to get to older docs vs having to go track down the box in storage somewhere.

Good Luck,
Ray

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)