AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

earth worm holes (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

gatorfarmer
Posted 11/11/2011 02:37 (#2044699 - in reply to #2043637)
Subject: Re: earth worm holes (pics)

SC Minnesota
Thanks everyone. Its interesting to find that others have read some of the books concerning the over use of tillage. I fully understand that there are times and places that tillage is necessary. But for the most part tillage isn't required to produce a healthy crop. I feel we as farmers still don't understand the whole universe that is contained in our soils. To just think of it as dirt to plant the crop that we need and to try and control that enviroment by our hands is in my opinion nieve. I hope that in the future our farmer agronomists will understand the soil universe much better than we do today. The old adage: (For every action there is a reaction) comes to mind. I feel we are hopefully just starting to understand how to grow our crops and have the least impact on our soils. In our area the application of manure doesn't happen any more. Because of the consolidation of the animal farms. And as we moved to comercial fertilizers our yeilds have started to wane. Now we have bird litter being trucked 50-60 miles to be applied to the fields. WE HAVE LEARNED, WE NEED MICRO'S. I have not used NH3 for about 10 years. I have been using Urea and have noticed it is easier on my micro enviroment. I have also started using more ortho base fertilizers. Because they contain less salts and feel this is also good for my crops and soils.
Boy, I could go on and on but I think I will quit and let someone else chime in.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)