AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which no-till grain drill to buy???????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 11/3/2011 16:20 (#2032000 - in reply to #2031890)
Subject: Re: Which no-till grain drill to buy???????

Oklahoma
Depends on what model of Tye. Others have mentioned the coulter cart type, ours is not, it is an older 13 ft Stubble Drill. I think we paid $2K for it at auction about 15 years ago. Plant mainly wheat, oats, ryegrass, vetch, and some soybeans, milo, and millet. Average probably 100-200 acres a year with it. I totally rebuilt it about 4 years ago, new seed cups and openers, replaced a few press wheel bearings, and a few coulter bearings as well as new paint and poly lined the bottom of the boxes for about $1700. Seed cups were the only part I had to wait on as the Agco dealer had the rest on hand. I have also pulled JD 750/1560 drills, if I was rich and had the acres, we would own one. I have bid on several of of them but can't justify the cost with our acres.

From my perspective on the Tye Stubble Drill we have
Pros - 1) Cheap 2) Ours is heavy enough to cut through quite a bit of residue and some tight ground if the coulters and openers are good.

Cons - 1) Wheels on the outside so you loose a little on the outside laps and the wheels run the drive chains so there are times where to get it in the ground, the wheels are off the ground thus no seed 2) if you are use to searching for parts on the internet and shopping around you will be disappointed, find a good agco dealer with a good parts guy and you will be fine. 3) In pasture overseeding situations, if it is dry, the press wheels don't do anything to back fill the trench, we added the wavy coulters and a drag and that has helped.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)