AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Few Cattle pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Emu
Posted 9/19/2011 22:26 (#1969993 - in reply to #1969839)
Subject: Re: A Few Cattle pics

Tamworth NSW Australia

Gday Tim
I can't believe someone missed me lol. I guess I have been lurking a lot more than posting, but I haven't gone away.
Good to see there is some interest in Murray Greys there, any landing on your farm soon? 
This area has smaller farms and intensively farmed so all pastures are fenced, there is no open rangeland grazing like you would find in central or northern Australia. Paddocks mostly around 100ac or so.
 I'm not sure which pic you are referring to but the one attached shows the native pasture which covered the alluvial floodplain area before clearing for cropping in the 1950/60s. Its generally what my cows run on year round as well as forage crops of oats/barley in winter and forage sorghum in summer when I can steal a paddock from the cropping program. Its good feed when its green and growing but like eating cardboard when it matures. Summer growing perennial - Liverpool plains grass (Stipa aristiglumis).
I find my cattle very quiet and easy to work with. I have no trouble walking through the mob or up to a cow and new calf. The most trouble I have is trying to move them, I have to put my hand on the rump and push some. They could teach Gandhi a thing or two about passive resistance.
Having said that, my cows see me most days from birth so thay are well handled and used to me. I also make sure my bulls are quiet and would sell anything too stirry. I did have a (bought in) cow that would charge my dog so that one took a one way trip. Ok in dingo/coyote country but my dog would hide behind me when the cow charged.

(tn_IMG_7357.JPG)

(tn_IMG_7358.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tn_IMG_7357.JPG (84KB - 77 downloads)
Attachments tn_IMG_7358.JPG (87KB - 72 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)