AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Transferring AB lines from 2630 to Trimble
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

x242934
Posted 9/9/2011 21:44 (#1954954 - in reply to #1953506)
Subject: Re: Transferring AB lines from 2630 to Trimble

Lance;
Did not do an exact test as you are describing but did do some testing this spring with two 2011 JD 8r tractors one with Trimble RTK and one with Greenstar RTK to demonstrate to a customer what the differences in the systems were. We were on a large field 1 mile by 1 mile. We started off using a 0 degree heading on the west side of the field even on the first exact pass on the two machines by the time both machines reached the other end of the field the Trimble was 2 inches right of the John Deere on the first pass. Consequently the further east we went the further it got off from the John Deere system. Then we changed it up and went east to west starting at the north end of the field and working south. This time the Trimble machine was off by 1 inch from the John Deere system and likewise to the right. We did check both machines when they turned around that we were both within 1" of the distance from center of the tractor to center. We alsod did not do our measuring at the very end of the field we did it about 150' in to make sure both machines were locked on the line and going straight. The field was fairly flat had a little bit of slope to it. What has been described to me by both a John Deere market representative and a Trimble representative is that all John Deere lines will meet at one local point when going North and South and will go around the earth East and West indefinitely. Whereas the Trimble system I have been told is that due to the curveature of the earth and pictured as if you are on a cruise ship on the ocean where the land is perfectly flat you can only see for 20 miles or so and thats it. The Trimble system is the same that after 20 or so miles will lose the line and recquire you to make a new one due to the fact that it is written on a flat plane. This is what I have been told and explained to me and I do not have any fields over 20 miles long to test this theory out on nor have I set an a-b line and then drove the tractor 30 or 40 miles north and tried to use the same one to see how it reacted. Just the way it was explained to me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)