AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is it possible to mix 6-24-6 starter with 32%?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 9/9/2011 09:47 (#1954073 - in reply to #1953314)
Subject: Re: is it possible to mix 6-24-6 starter with 32%?

Coldwater, Michigan
My point is: If you are going to put "P" 2 inches away, you might as well broadcast the "P". If you want performance from the "P" above what it does broadcast, it needs to be in the seed trench. 10-34-0 at 15 gallons 2"x 2" seldom outyields the "no starter" treatment in a reasonably fertilized soil. If anything in the 10-34-0 gives a yield response above the "no starter" treatment, it is usually the nitrogen component. One must realize that a good broadcast program includes adequate "P" in the program.

If you want performance from "P" above what you can get from a broadcast program, you must put the "P" where the roots are going to hit the concentration of "P" quickly. Once you have achieved adequate "P" concentration, 2 inches away or broadcast, doesn't seem to do the same job as does seed placed "P" when dealing with corn, or wheat.

The seed placed product needs to be relatively low salt, and have a good micro nutrient package which includes a good dose of Zinc. No guarantee of performance, but the chances are much better from a "P" performance than placing 2 inches away, or broadcasting. It does need adequate soil "P" to carry the plant thru the rest of the season, and that can be achieved thru broadcasting the rest. I can usually get the same performance from 5 gallons of 6-24-6 in the seed trench as I can get with 15 gallons of 6-24-6 beside the row 2 inches. That tells me that the main thing the extra 10 gallons is doing is maintaining fertility. There are cheaper ways to maintain fertility!

I hope the above makes some sense to most of you. I'm not so sure after reading it myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)