AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What time do you guys get up in the morning?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 8/28/2007 22:50 (#194834 - in reply to #194322)
Subject: RE: What time do you guys get up in the morning?

Depends on what we are doing. Farming if we are planting or harvesting I get up by 5:30 to be out the door before 7. If school is in, then I have to start calling my daughter by 6am and her feet have to be on the floor no later than 6:30 so she can leave sometime after 7am depending on if she is stopping for breakfast on the way.

If it rains then everyone backs off and it may be 8 am or later before everyone ends up at the shop and then no one is moving too fast.

If we're running that yellow stuff or hauling then it's normally an earlier start. For example tomorrow morning I have to be out of the driveway by 5:45 at the very latest and loading rock by 6:30 at a quarry 30 miles away for a job. For the most part those jobs will sign you out by 4 or 5 pm so you get home at a decent hour.

With all the flooding this spring and the railroad tracks washed out around here we've been running a lot longer hours, back in May they ran 24/7 for over a week. Some guys thought they could keep going and after the 36 hour mark everyone started laying down in the seats for a 3 or 4 hour nap. After 4 or 5 days it gets to the point you are almost on automatic and not really thinking about anything.

For a good part of my life I could get along with 3 hours a night for several weeks and then catch up when it rained, but now that I'm older (53) I find that 4 hours is a bare minimum and then I'm not running too well, to feel pretty good I need at least 6. Problem is if I start getting more than 5 or 6 it seems like it's addictive and the more I get the more I seem to want so I try to stay away from that situation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)