AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anyone rooting their droid?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 8/30/2011 01:21 (#1937238 - in reply to #1934618)
Subject: Re: anyone rooting their droid?

SNS in WC IL - I DO NOT need to root to do EVERYTHING I want. I initially rooted to update to 2.2 because of the nicer feature set it had over 1.6. 

Everything except run the latest OS version - which proves my point. 

SNS in WC IL - The D1 was designed for 1.6, and was hardware limited on 2.2 which could have caused some of your bad experiences. It was also the 1st generation product from Moto running a 1st gen OS, and you're comparing it to an OS that has already seen multiple releases.  

Why you Android guys seem so hung up on thinking the Droid 1 ran 1.6 is beyond me - my Droid 1 and every one sold early on had 2.0 on it. I also know it was a 1st gen device, but it did NOT run a first gen OS. It was a first gen device, rushed to the market to compete with the iPhone, running a 2nd gen OS that wasn't fully cooked. BOTH are the fault of the phone manufacturer and Google - plain and simple. So many iPhone (and now iPad) competitors were/are rushing devices to the market to compete and end up shooting themselves in the foot. As late a Microsoft is to the mobile world, I actually think they might end up being ok in the long run since they are taking their time. As for laginess - there is a difference between lag and smoothness. I had very little trouble with lag - especially after the 2.2 update that sped the processor up a bit. But the OS in general - scrolling, pinch zoom, etc - were far from smooth and refined. Again, not a terrible big issue, but shows a lack of attention to detail that just makes iOS stand out.

SNS in WC IL - I seem to recall complaints of laggy-ness and bricked iPhones/iPods when older devices (that were supposedly compatible) were updated to 4. 

Yes, iOS 4 slowed the iPhone 3GS down over the previos version. Bricked? I suppose you have some evidence to back that up - I keep pretty close tabs on these things and never heard of any major problems with the 3GS being bricked - other than jailbroken phones and users should know the risks involved. The difference is the 3GS was smoking fast when it was released. The Droid was pathetic from day one.

SNS in WC IL - I have chosen to keep my phone rooted to have the ability to try new software releases before they are pushed to the masses. 

Perhaps you would like to explain to everyone why you need to root in order to "try" the latest OS? When Apple issues an update, it is freely available to everyone - all at the same time. You can "try" the latest version and if you don't like it, you can revert back to the previous version - no "rootiing" or jailbreaking needed. Heck, I'm starting to think iOS is more open than your so-called "open" Android.  ;)

SNS in WC IL - How can you claim Android is not open when you can look at a phone from Motorola, Samsung, and HTC, and have completely different user interfaces? 

Easy. I don't care that Android is "open" to the phone manufactureres (it is, I won't argue that), but it is NOT "open" to you, the user. If it were, you could do anything and everything you wanted to it without rooting - and you can't. So it is NOT open. You can't even run the latest OS on your phone since the company that built it had it locked down and under their thumb.

SNS in WC IL - Yes, the manufactures put safeguards in place to keep the masses from messing up their phones

WHOA!! Where did they get THAT idea from??!! Too bad no matter how many "safeguards" (locking it down - aka, not open) they put in place, the Android Market is a free-for-all and has turned into the seedy underbelly of the platform.

SNS in WC IL - Open source, by definition, does not mean that every user should have open access to modify the software. It does means that developers have free access to modify the software without penalty. 

Well, if one is trying to convince him or her self that their locked down device is really "open", yes. But where I come from, open source really does mean "open" and free to modify at will.

SNS in WC IL - You have claimed multiple times that my customizations could only be done because my phone is rooted which is false... 7 of the 145 apps I have loaded on my phone require root to use. Of those 7, only 2 are used regularly. 

No sir, it is not false. You have admitted to rooting in order to run an OS version and apps your phone manufacturer and/or carrier has not intended you to run, therefore you you have a customization that required rooting. 

SNS in WC IL - Customized lock screen in iOS5? Another steal from Android??? 

Is customized lock screens part of bone stock Android - meaning without having to add the feature? No, at least not that I am aware of. So therefore how can it be "stolen"?

SNS in WC IL - Widgets only take up as much space as you want them to. 

I am not arguing that. I am saying that widgets, even one of them, takes up home screen space and forces a potentialy high use app icon off to another screen making it time consuming to get to. I'm not buying your app locker argument either. At most, I only had about 20 apps on my Droid - and bringing up the app locker and flicking down thru it to find an app was not very intuitive. Could have been worse, but having shortcuts on the home screen(s) was much easier and faster. Having 145 apps would make the app locker method a mess, IMO - but this could be chalked up to user preference.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)