AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anyone rooting their droid?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

SNS in WC IL
Posted 8/24/2011 20:46 (#1928784 - in reply to #1928179)
Subject: Re: anyone rooting their droid?

Rooting allows you a lot more freedom to back-up, modify, use you device to it's full potential. Most phone carriers want to charge extra for tethering your computer to your phone. Android has this ability built into it, but it is locked until you pay the phone carrier to use it. Rooting allows you to bypass this lock and use the data plan you are already paying for as you see fit. HTC, Motorola, and Samsung all have their own versions of the OS. Rooting also allows you to remove some of the add-on features that phone manufacturers force on you. Some of these add ons are good, others slow your phone down. Rooting lets you disable the ones you don't want or need and helps with performance and battery life in some instances.

Rooting opens up the door to running custom ROMs and/or Kernals. Basically, Android developers write their own version of Android OS and you can install them on your device. Some are built for performance, others are built for speed, and some just remove all the junk that was piled on top of the base OS.

Full system backups are possible on a rooted phone. This means that if something does go wrong when you are tinkering with it, you can get back to your previous working version. Peopler that are really into custom ROMs can change from one to another in minutes.

Is rooting for everyone? No. Will you brick your phone if you root? Maybe, but you have just as much of a chance at dropping it and breaking it as you do bricking it if you learn how to do it properly. My Droid X is rooted, but otherwise stock. I like the ability to keep a back up of my current layout in case something happens to my phone.

Check out androidforums.com, mydroidworld.com or other Android forums for more info and instructions on how to do it if you feel you can handle it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)