AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how to control hyd cylinders with AL Integra
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/20/2011 17:26 (#1921591 - in reply to #1921480)
Subject: RE: how to control hyd cylinders with AL Integra

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
It would be possible to use some hyd solenoids to operate the hyd cylinder. I believe it was mbmaring that posts here that I worked with on something of that nature for working with a triple hookup of grain drills.

Hydraulics were used to literally raise each drill independently. Prior to this the operator had the option of raising each drill by a switch for that section. The switches were replaced with relays which operated the hyd solenoids.

I believe this would be most easily done with a clutch control module. As used more on a normal planter the system would send out 12V to operate the air valve box or the section clutches when application should not take place That would be when the operator shut off the Master switch, a Section Switch or autoswath determined that a section should be OFF.

In your case the 12V could operate a hyd solenoid which would cause the hyd cylinder to extend to shut off that half. It would probably be necessary to have the output of the module go to a DPDT relay which connects to a hyd valve so that the cylinder extends when the relay is engergized and retracts when it is not.

This would be a workaround in the sense that the Clutch Control module would be used in a situation for which it was not designed. Ag Leader may not offer much support in such a setup.

None of the Ag Leader modules designed to work with granular products allow for the rig to be setup in sections. The entire rig is either ON or OFF. We and others have asked for mult-section support to be added to their granular modules such as the Spinner Module and the Strip-til module but this has not yet happened.

By using the clutch control you would get the advantage of being able to have auto swath shut off half of the applicator or the entire rig on headlands but you wouldn't be getting any application control or logging. If you are not concerned about the rate monitoring, then the clutch control route would probably be workable. Especially if you happen to have one for a planter already. You would get a coverage map of where the fertilizer was applied but it would not indicate an applied rate. Using the Clutch Control module would involve some "creative lying" to the system which might be a bit confusing but shouldn't be too bad.

The Ag Leader liquid module does have the provisons for section control. The problem with using a liquid module for a granular situation is that in most instances the Math has to be done differently for a partial section granular rig vs a partial section liquid rig.

In a liquid rig if half of the sections were off, the flow rate through the flowmeter would need to be half to maintain the correct applied rate. With granular rigs, the flow rate is often determined by sensing a drive shaft to a bed or metering wheels. In this type of arrangement, the drive shaft still needs to turn the same speed even when some sections are OFF.

Raven has various solutions for these situations. The Raven 660 for example, has a setting called GRANULAR 2 that correctly does the math for a two section granular rig. The Raven Field Computer Systems (Viper, Enviso etc.) have this option in their setup as well.

Edited by tedbear 8/24/2011 15:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)