AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Miller or Lincoln MIG Welder
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mknoeber
Posted 8/10/2011 09:29 (#1905718 - in reply to #1905646)
Subject: Re: Miller or Lincoln MIG Welder

La Salle, CO
I wouldn't be afraid of any of those models. I've used them all (except the Lincoln 216) and they can all work well.
Things you'll want to take into consideration if you've never used a wire welder before.
1. They will not work in the wind. The wind will blow the shielding gas away and it won't lay down good welds.
2. The penetration from solid core wire from these models won't equal what a stick welder with 6010 or 6011 will give you. I would be hesitant to weld anything that HAD to be strong with them. If you set it up for gas shielded flux core wire, then you'll get good penetration. The rated welding thickness is the maximum that it can weld in one pass. You can make multiple passes, but I would not, for example, weld 1/2" steel with one of these in one pass.
3. The steel needs to be clean to get good welds. they don't have a lot of capability to burn through rust, paint, grease, etc.
4. Getting the welder set is quite a bit harder than a stick, but the welds are a little easier to do.

I think Miller and Lincoln both have some educational resources available on their websites. It will help a lot to look them over - you'll start making quality welds with a lot less frustration if you take the time to do this.

Oh, and once you learn the ins and outs of using MIG welders, you won't want to use your stick welder again!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)