AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats the # 1 issue on getting it done on your operation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JK SCLA
Posted 8/2/2011 07:54 (#1891459 - in reply to #1891106)
Subject: Re: Whats the # 1 issue on getting it done on your operation?

I have in a way avoided 'growing' (new term used nowadays) by operation beyond what I can handle with one fulltime and some part time harvest help. Now my 11 yr old helps tremendously. A few years back I was working probably 70% more land than I am now, and I lost some ground to WRP/CRP, inaddition I had 700 acres of Sugarcane, now that required dedicated labor, every weekend during harvest, and major holidays and hunting season, and all weather condidtions.

In my opinion, it isn't worth it chasing labor. We went wider, started leveling ground, and hiring the plane more. We don't get in a bind anymore, have plenty time off, sleep at night, and the bottom line looks even better. In my operation, I can make an easier living with one employee on 2100 ac and some custom work than I could on 3300 with the same help and running like crazy. I realize that isn't big acres to some of you, but the dynamics in bayou country add up quick. Its just me, no brothers, cousins, or partners.

Works for me. I get to pick my boy up at school most days at 3:10 and make a parts run/crop checking at the same time, cook supper for the wife every so often, shoot a round of sporting clays every other week or so, check deer cameras, and do stuff that I was missing out on. Get sick once and you'll realize life is fragile. 18 months ago I was given 1 to 2 years, my cancer is now gone and should be free for a very long time.

Think hard and do what works for you. We feed the world, but don't have to do it directly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)