AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cummins 378 V6
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Applicator
Posted 7/21/2011 10:59 (#1872884 - in reply to #1870530)
Subject: Re: Cummins 378 V6

The 1004 has a problem with the transfer case. There is no air circulation around it and on the road, it will heat up and cook the seals. Look for oil leaks. The case is expensive, unusual and probably no longer available. I got a brand new one from Ag Chem at least 10 years ago. They had to order it and I remember the Ag Chem purchasing agent saying "o my, the vender from hell". They must have had some bad experiences with whoever made it. I put an oil cooler with an electric pump on ours. The same pump is used to cool stock car differentials. Synthetic gear oil and high temp viton seals are a must have with this transfer case. I even ordered a special air shift cylinder (from a hydraulic store) with viton seals. The original one would cook the seals, then leak air into the case and force oil out. It was a real bad pain in the rear.
It is a good row crop machine. It can easily be driven in rows and the articulating steering makes getting into rows easy. The steering valve is a load reaction type and it will follow rows with little input from the operator. This down side of this type of steering valve is that if you drive through a ditch at an angle and the steering wheel will kick back hard enough to break your arm if you do not let go. One time is enough to teach you to do that at a crawl.
It is hard to drive straight with the flotation tires and really does not have enough horsepower to work in soft ground. It is not a good open ground machine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)