AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Tx Panhandle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bkadds
Posted 7/3/2011 14:38 (#1846858 - in reply to #1846008)
Subject: RE: Corn Tx Panhandle

Dalhart, Texas
I have seen very little corn that looks good at this stage, but just wait till pollination when it needs even more moisture. That in my opinion is when the crude is going to hit the fan. Most corn is rolled up like an onion during the heat of the day and getting more uneven in height as time goes on. My dad always used to say that rain covers up a lot of mistakes down here and he is definitely correct on that. Plugged nozzles and pumping air are clearly visible. Numerous sprinklers have been renozzled and as you said some ground has been abandoned. With hay prices down here going through the roof some is being cut for hay. At least they will get something off the ground. I wish I would have planted nothing but Milo and cotton this year, but know nothing about either really. The one year I planted Milo was a disaster as far as weed control. They should get some more suitable herbicides for milo as I think that it will be more of a crop for this area than corn in the not to distant future with the decline in the aquifer. Be interesting to see what the level falls to after this year. By the way, I agree about the hurricane helping break this drought.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)