AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on farm rent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IALTO
Posted 7/1/2011 09:51 (#1843771 - in reply to #1843517)
Subject: RE: Question on farm rent

WC MN
If you are serious about expanding I would. Talk to the people in your area that have an inside track on land that will be available. A lot of the guys in our area that have expanded have had someone help them (not sure if they are paying a commision or not).

Bankers are most likely not gonna be interested in doing this, the good ones anyway. Most are not gonna try and put one customer in front of another. The right farm manager or real estate agent could be a very good resource if hes not already looking for others.

I think everyone has the opportunity to expand their business if they like here in AMERICA. Be careful how you do it. Don't try and steal it. Don't get caught paying rents that are way too high. Treat your landlords good and at the same time be respectful of other farmers and try not to make too big of waves if you think there is a chance that some retiring farmers may be potential landlords. If you are driving up the cost of land they rent then they are less likely to rent to you later.

There are always gonna be people telling you they should have got the land you just rented. There is always goona be people say that you are greedy. There will be jealousy. People will want you to fail. You probably already know this, its the nature of this business.

Farming is the only business that I know of where people discourage you to expand and move your business ahead. Trying to get the most out of the acres you have can only go so far, especially if you have multiple people making a living off of one farm. There is nothing wrong with slow steady growth as long as you don't break the unwritten rules of farming and don't over extend yourself. Do a good job agronomically and focus on marketing and you will do just fine.

Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)