AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smart steer type controllers vs outback bang bang hydraulics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 6/14/2011 08:02 (#1817971)
Subject: Smart steer type controllers vs outback bang bang hydraulics

I've been collecting a pile of valves and an edrive to swap between a 9170 tractor and a hagie 284 sprayer. Just looking at the 9170 steering plumbing, I'm wondering if the small outback valve will flow enough to work (it looks like the tractor has 3/4" lines and the outback has 3/8"). The hagie is not loaded with hydraulic capacity and I've heard of guys finding they have no boom control when the steering is being corrected. Installing a larger pump on the hagie wouldn't be hard, but I'm not sure the rest of the system would handle the increased flow. I've been using an outback S2 in the hagie and it's really quite good and intuitive to use (I like the way it guides me to the next pass) and older outback stuff is pretty cheap (I like cheap stuff that works).

So, it seems like my all hydraulic plan may not work out all that good for both machines. On the other hand a steering wheel system like the smart steer or ATU looks so much simplier and will likely work well in the tractor. I've heard the steering effort for the hagie is high so these type controllers may not work so good - is this still true? My 284 steering effort isn't really high unless I'm trying to steering while stopped and loaded.

My original plan was to swap the e drive and S2 between the tractor and sprayer and I think that still that would work if I could find compatible steering wheel drivers (not the ez steer - I don't have clean hands). What would work or could be made to work?

thanks,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)