AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iphone Guidance app
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

mx270a
Posted 6/12/2011 21:19 (#1816013 - in reply to #1815887)
Subject: Re: Iphone Guidance app

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The GPS engine in a phone is designed for low power, tiny size, and a tiny antenna. The software is designed to deal with a lot of multi-path and very limited satellite visibility, which are problems common to operating indoors and in the "urban canyons" of tall buildings and trees. I doubt you would see sufficient accuracy while outside with a perfect view of the sky, but in the cab of the tractor, no way.

The people that like to go hiking and record their path with GPS will frequently use an external GPS receiver connected via Bluetooth because the external receivers have better accuracy than the internal ones.

From the perspective of a developer of mobile software, I see your request as demand for an app that I don't think exists. However, I think you have higher expectations than what the hardware can provide. If, however, you were willing to use an external GPS receiver and use the phone only for the display, that opens up more options.

I wrote a guidance app for windows a while back. I know some people in Europe have tried to use it with cheap bluetooth receivers and they were unhappy with the performance. Those receivers tend to have a slow refresh and are very "jumpy" in how they report position data. This is with a receiver that is a level above what is in a phone.

-Lance

Edited by mx270a 6/12/2011 21:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)