AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much tractor do I need?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Trent2520
Posted 6/12/2011 08:51 (#1814879 - in reply to #1814780)
Subject: RE: Plowboy: do you have to be a jerk all of the time?

Statesville, NC
When the farmall cub was introduced in 1947 it was designed for 40 acres, and it was 9 hp on the belt and 7 on the drawbar. There was a lot more tillage done then too. With the largest field being 12 acres, and no spraying or harvesting, most any tractor that could pull one 12" plow or more could handle it. We really need some more information. Waitforit, Is it a hobby or do you plan to expand? Are you working fulltime? How much time do you want to put into the farm? What dealers are in your area? Even though a farmall cub would do it, I would not recommend one, because of the backward pto, and no three point hitch, and parts becoming harder to get. Without any more information, I would probably recommend any Massey Ferguson or Ford from the 1960's or 1970's, with a three cylinder diesel. They are very common, parts easy to get, easy to repair, have a three point hitch, most have live pto, and power steering was available. There are probably more aftermarket parts available for these tractors than any other makes or models. The smaller models of the Massey 2600 series made today have many parts in common with the Massey 35 series of the 1960's. I think plowboys statement is true, but maybe to make one think a little. As far as an older 100 hp tractor for 25 acres, you could easily have a clutch or TA or engine or transmission repair bill that would be more than you could buy a smaller tractor for.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)