AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New product: Lefebure NTRIP Client for Android
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

mx270a
Posted 6/8/2011 12:24 (#1809938 - in reply to #1809921)
Subject: RE: New product: Lefebure NTRIP Client for Android

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I actually used an Intuicom this season.

The original intent last winter was to use the Android software, which I had built mostly on top of the emulator. I needed an actual phone to do the final testing of the Bluetooth part, which is when I discovered that some manufacturers butcher the OS. I think US Cellular has good enough signal around here that I could have used them without a booster, but then I learned that their phones don't have SPP. I then went to Verizon, but was going to run into signal quality issues on some of our fields that are far from a tower. These companies don't share towers at all around here.

We ran i-Wireless (Iowa partner of T-Mobile) last year with a USB card on a laptop and ran into signal issues even with a booster. It worked 98% of the time, but that 2% interruption was quite annoying.

In my area right now, I can get a good phone on a mediocre network, or a mediocre phone on a good network, but not both. I opted for the good phone to develop on with hopes that the good network carriers will eventually start carrying good phones. HTC and Motorola are seeing enough backlash from their users over locked bootloaders that I think they're going to change their policy of butchering the OS. The stock firmware may not support SPP, but at least you'll have the option of loading third party firmware on the phone that does support it.

Meanwhile, since the app was close to being done, I just finished it up and released it. Completing a project always feels good. I figured somebody else may be able to get some good out of it. Europe has a more robust cellular network than the US, so I figure they're more likely to utilize this. My download stats are backing up that theory as only about half the downloads are in North America.

-Lance
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)